Leica M 50mm f1.2 Noctilux-M Lens - Black
Camera West ID: 913299Call for Price
Available for Pre-Order
1966 – One of Leica's Historic Achievements in Optics
The first Noctilux lens
In 1966, the Noctilux 50 f/1.2 astounded expo visitors and the trade press when it debuted with its positively revolutionary optical capabilities. The lens offered a maximum aperture that was enormous by the standards of the time, in conjunction with an exceptional optical performance and visual signature that was unmatched. This was partly due to the fact that the Noctilux was the world’s first serially produced lens to feature two aspherical elements, reducing spherical aberrations at maximum aperture and improving rendition quality. The original Noctilux 50 f/1.2 was produced from 1966 to 1975, and only 1,757 units were ever made. It was one of the first serial production Leica lenses to feature a black finish. In the course of the transition from silver to black lenses, a small number of Noctilux 50 f/1.2 prototypes were made in a silver finish, and today they are among the most coveted collector's pieces in the history of Leica M lenses.
2021 – The Groundbreaking Classic Returns
Leica Noctilux-M 50 f/1.2 ASPH.
Carefully adapted in line with modern lens design, the Leica Noctilux-M 50 f/1.2 ASPH. marks the return of one of the most famous lenses made for the Leica M-System. Its light sensitivity further contributed to the Noctilux’s legendary status and continued lineage – as did its unique aesthetic: images captured at open aperture are imbued with a soft, almost dreamlike quality – creating an unmistakable look with an exquisite bokeh. To re-issue this iconic lens, the original calculation and construction were only minimally changed, and carefully adapted to the glass types and production methods available today. The lens comes in packaging inspired by the original box, and is complemented by the same lens container that was provided with the original Noctilux 50 f/1.2 for safe keeping.
- Contemporary designed reinterpretation of one of the most mythical lenses for the Leica M- System.
- Similar optical design as the original Noctilux lens. Unique image quality with a vintage feel from the original lens.
- Even though the lens has a unique look with wide open aperture, this lens is in general a very usable lens for everyday shooting.
- The lens will come in a classically inspired transparent lens container, just like the original version.
- A special edition version in silver chrome finish is available in special historically inspired packaging and is limited to 100 units worldwide.